Kelly Caldwell - Guelph Realtor
  • A while ago, a buddy of mine told me a friend of hers was selling his Guelph home, and lamented that it was not running smoothly for him. Word from her friend was there was virtually no sales activity and also the listing agent didn’t appear to be working on getting people from the door.

She inquired about to go check out your opportunity online, that we did. What I found was, of course, the listing detail. Apart from that, nothing. No virtual tour. No scheduled open houses for Realtors and people. Merely a short write-up and a number of dimly-lit, blurry pictures of your home which had clearly been taken employing a mobile phone. I said to my pal, “he hired a buddy… didn’t he.” And affirmed, he previously. Fast forward to months later, additional marketing done on the seller’s initiative (and expense, if you're able to accept it) and, as memory serves, at least one or even two price reductions. The home sold, but it took much too long, and consequently it selected lower than it was worth.

Why? Because someone hired an associate who been a Guelph Realtor without first taking some simple measures to ascertain whether his pal would be a good Realtor.

I’m not saying don’t work with a friend. Beyond family you'll find nothing more essential in my experience than my close friendships. However, selling a house is a large investment decision and you’ve got to get it done right, both on the buy and also the sell. That means: Work with a good Realtor. If she or he is actually your friend, awesome. Talk about a win-win! One of the upsides to having a friend is the fact that, presumably, he or she knows you in and out, and also you understand that person has the back. Both are quite crucial when you're buying or selling a home in Guelph.

But there may be downsides, too, as well as the main the first is this: Let's say your friend really isn’t the very best person for the position?

Listed here are your two best options, when i notice:

1. Hire Your Friend - but only after you’ve asked her or him to do a formal presentation, in support of if he or she has truly impressed you. Inform your friend that you will be interviewing three (or whatever number) agents and the man or she actually is one of these. In the event that friend is offended, so whether it be - however i would debate that any true professional on this business doesn’t take offense at being required to “win” someone’s business. It’s area of the job.

2. Ask Your Friend to touch on One to Someone Else - if you're certain you don’t desire to mix business and personal. As Realtors, we now have the ability to refer clients to colleagues, and in this we typically be given a part of that other Realtor’s fees. So this is a way that you should opt out of getting the friend handle your case directly, but nevertheless give him some credit and the opportunity to have fun with the transaction in a really arms-length way. And it’s a lot easier to hear, “We really would like someone who isn’t a buddy, because that is complicated - but we’d just like you to acquire a referral fee… aren't are you able to recommend?” versus, “We felt awkward and merely called so-and-so.”

Every case differs, and each friendship is exclusive - so use your best judgement. But never just ‘give’ someone your company in terms of something this important.

More details about real estate agent from Guelph you can check our webpage